NON-PHOTOREALISTIC RENDERING

Non-photorealistic rendering is something I have been quite fascinated with for a long time. Unfortunately I never had enough time to really get into it. But when a good old friend asked me if I could help him on one of his projects I thought this would be a good opportunity to finally dig deeper into NPR land.
My friend is one of the few persons who pretty much never uses a computer. And for his work he doesn’t have to. He is a brilliant artist making wonderful drawings mainly with colored pencils. Around six to seven years ago, he started one of his newer projects. He developed his own alphabet as a kind of abstract notation which is based on rectangles and four different colors. In the following years he made hundreds (or maybe even thousands) of drawings which show all kinds of variations of this notation. Usually these drawings are translation of one or two words into his alphabet. At some point he finally wanted to translate more than a few words but since he is doing all by hand, this became rather time consuming. One evening, when we sat together over a drink we talked about his project and he told me about his idea of translating “The Pacific”, a chapter from the famous book Moby Dick into one of his drawings. It wasn’t that much text but since he also wanted to try out different variations it became rather tedious to draw it by hand. In Houdini however, this could be done in a fraction of a second. To test it out I quickly threw together some nodes and with the help of python and the mighty copySop I had a working setup shortly after. After that I simply used Wren for rendering out the wireframe as Postscript file which could then be plotted on paper.

My friend was quite happy with the result. It did save him a lot of work and time and now he could concentrate on coloring and finalizing the drawing. I for one, however, was asking myself if it was even necessary to hand colorize the prints. Wouldn’t it be possible to just write a shader and let Houdini and Mantra do all the work? I was rather confident and so I started working on the shader. On one hand it was important to simulate my friends drawing style as close as possible and on the other hand the shader had to be as flexible as possible. I first thought I could scan parts of his drawings and simply use it as texture but this wasn’t neither flexible enough nor did it look natural. It was quite the opposite, it looked terribly unnatural. After some more tests I finally decided to use only layered procedural textures. This made rendering rather slow but since I had to render just a few large stills, this wasn’t much of a problem. At the end it worked quite nicely and using fully procedural textures made it possible to simulate many different drawing styles.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s